My siblings and I grew up in a strict family, so going out at night to have fun was basically impossible unless our Tatay (Dad) allowed us to. He was stricter with us girls than he was with the boys.
Tatay had a lot of rules, like, we all had to be home before he got back from work. If he got home before us, we knew that we were in trouble because he’d already have the wooden stick ready. 😂 That’s why our playmates would tell us to go home as soon as they heard Dad’s whistle or saw him coming home.
I can hardly remember the last time I joined a dance benefit in our barangay fiesta while growing up. As far as I can remember, when I was a kid, we were only allowed to stay on the pavement until 8 o’clock in the evening because going out at night was simply not an option.
As I got older, I think the first benefit dance I attended was on my 18th birthday. I’m not entirely sure, but it may have also been my last. Even then, I was always surrounded by my brothers and cousins. I guess, that was our family’s way of making sure I could have fun while still being safely supervised.
In other words, it was rare for me to join this kind of activity, and I only got to participate when it was needed. That’s why I’m not really used to going to bars. I’ve always kept myself away from that kind of environment.
When I worked in Boracay from 2008 to 2010, I didn’t go to bars unless my boardmates invited me. Even then, I usually just looked after their drinks and belongings. I was actually happy doing that rather than dancing on the floor. Sounds crazy, right? 😂
But why? What was the reason?
Because I chose to. Drinking alcoholic beverages was simply not part of my life then. I remember one time when my foreigner bosses were at Ambassador and called me in to do some paperwork. While I was there, they asked me what I wanted to drink and offered me coffee, beer, or juice. I simply said, “Red wine.” They laughed and said, “It’s expensive!” 😂 I just smiled at them because they were enjoying their beers while I sat there with my glass of wine. 🍷 I guess I’ve always had a preference for wine, even back then!
When Auntie Baby visited me in Boracay on February 1, 2010, I ended up getting drunk from drinking mojitos. I was pretty tired from work at the time when she arrived on the island, but I still accompanied her to the bar. I just sat there, enjoying my mojito while she was dancing. After a while, I started feeling dizzy, but I somehow managed to make it home. 😂
Twelve years later, I set foot in a bar again, just to celebrate my colleague’s birthday. I joined in on the fun and enjoyed the moment, but somehow, I still found myself interceding, observing and keeping an eye on things. I couldn’t shake the feeling that something wasn’t right, and there was a reminder that kept on popping into my mind.
On December 29, 2023, my high school friends and I met up in Boracay. We had a wine session first at Che’s house, and after dinner, we went bar hopping. We had a drink or two at each place before moving on to the next.
The funny thing was, Mej drank her drinks like they were juice! 😂 Meanwhile, the rest of us were taking our sweet time because the drinks were a bit pricey. We had to savor every sip and make every drop count! 🍹 So, of course, Mej always had to wait for us to finish while we slowly enjoyed our drinks. She was ready for the next round while we were still working on the first one! 🤣
The travel buddies reunited in Boracay on November 18, 2024, to celebrate Blanca’s wedding anniversary. We enjoyed happy hour, shared plenty of laughs, and spent a couple of fun hours at a bar. It was a simple but memorable time together!
While enjoying the moment, a group of youngsters caught my attention. They were lively and seemed to be having some kind of bet for singles. I’m not really sure! 😂 Maybe they were in Boracay for a team-building activity.
I noticed a foreign man waiting for his food and drinks when a lady approached him, and they had a short conversation. Later, the man moved to a spot near us. I saw him talking to another guy, but he kept his distance from the group.
A few minutes later, another foreigner sat at the same table, and once again, he was alone. A lady came over and started talking to him, but this time, the man gave her a “stop” hand gesture. It was like he was saying, “Please don’t disturb me!”
It was such a funny little scene to watch while we were enjoying our own drinks. Sometimes, the best entertainment is simply observing the people around you!
On my 42nd birthday, I chose to celebrate in Boracay. I spent a couple of hours at Nigi-Nigi, enjoying a few birthday shots and simply taking in the moment. While fellowshipping with a new friend, I found myself observing the people around us and wondering about the stories that brought them there.
One lady caught my attention. She was sitting at the bar, crying because she was having a conflict with her boyfriend. She drank to ease her emotions and eventually sang for us and surprisingly, she had such a beautiful voice. For a moment, it felt like she was turning her sadness into music.
Around us, other people were simply enjoying the evening. Some were relaxing and listening to the serenade, while others were there to unwind, pass the time, and enjoy a few drinks.
One of the crew members told me that some customers come to Nigi-Nigi almost every night for an entire week. The lady we met was one of them. She had been in Boracay for seven days and loved the ambiance of Nigi-Nigi so much that she kept coming back for a night out.
It made me realize that every person sitting at that bar probably had a different reason for being there. Some came to celebrate, some came to forget, some came to heal, and others simply came to enjoy the moment. As for me, I came to celebrate another year of life.
Having said all that, you might think I’m a drunkard. Absolutely not! 😂 I’m simply a fan of wine and beautiful wine cellars, so I genuinely enjoy the ambiance and beauty of a well-designed bar.
Going to a bar can be quite expensive, and it’s not something I normally include in my budget unless it’s well planned. That’s why I’m grateful for every opportunity to enjoy a few drinks at a bar with my friends.
I drink occasionally, and only when the occasion calls for it. For me, it’s not about drinking, it’s about the experience, the ambiance, the conversations, and the memories shared with good friends and family. 🍷❤️
So, no, I’m not a drunkard. I’m just someone who appreciates good wine, beautiful places, and meaningful moments. Cheers to that! 🥂✨








Comments
Post a Comment