![]() |
I was tidying
up my files when I came across this photo from the archives. Looking back, this
moment remains special to me because they showed up before my 18th birthday
came to an end.
August 16,
2001, marked my 18th birthday. It was
only a simple celebration but since it also coincided with our barangay religious
fiesta, the Feast of St. Roque, it’s kind of a little more special than usual. Like many other barangays in our province,
the fiesta took center stage, so my birthday was naturally overshadowed by the
festivities.
That day, I
had only a few guests who came specifically to celebrate my birthday. Most of the people at our house were
relatives, church members, friends, and other visitors who had come for the
fiesta. I had invited these three
because they were my seniors in college, and one of them was my so-called
distant cousin. I honestly thought they wouldn't make it, so I was pleasantly
surprised when they arrived. Almero told me that he had promised to attend my
birthday, and he kept his word. Although
they arrived at around three in the afternoon while my invitation was for lunch,
their presence still meant so much to me.
Several months
later, my friend's boyfriend saw this photo and asked, "You're an APO
too?" I looked at him, puzzled, and
replied, "What do you mean?" He pointed to the men in the picture and
explained that they were members of APO, just like he was. I had never expected
that. It was only then that I realized why many of their classmates treated me
differently whenever I walked through the hallways. They were always respectful
and courteous whenever they greeted me. That revelation suddenly made
everything make sense because I had often wondered why they treated me that
way. Most of my close friends were in the Engineering Department, but I never
imagined that even the upperclassmen would extend that same kindness and respect
to me. Looking back, that's one of the reasons I enjoyed college life more than
high school. I met people who were simple, humble, and yet carried themselves
with quiet prestige.
After learning
the truth, I asked Almero if it was really true, and he confirmed it. I then
asked him why he had never told me or even tried to recruit me into their
organization. He simply smiled and said that everything was fine as it was. Reading between the lines, I felt a sense of
security and protection. Those were wonderful days, and it's always good to
look back on them with gratitude.
Turning eighteen was the beginning of a new chapter in my life. I was opening myself to a world filled with opportunities, experiences, and temptations. Yet by God's grace, I remained under His hedge of protection, even during the times when I tried, in one way or another, to step outside of it.
Looking back now, I can truly see His
faithfulness in every season of my life.

Comments
Post a Comment