A Wedding To Remember

Have you ever attended an alcohol-free wedding celebration, from pre-wedding to post wedding day?  Is it possible to have a wedding celebration without alcohol?

 

I have attended various wedding since I was a child but I’ve never attended a wedding without an alcoholic drinks. There will always be an alcoholic drink prepared by the family to be served.  It can’t be avoided in our culture because people believe that alcohol helps guests to have fun and relax.

 

Though I’m not a fun of alcohol, I seldom drink but it depends on the occasion and I limit myself to wine and a bottle of beer if there is no option.  It has been in my heart that we can have fun in any celebration without alcohol, so as much as possible, I decline the same or just take a sip or drink moderately.


When I witnessed the union of Blancaflor and Sukhraj Singh in a traditional Punjabi-Sikh wedding ceremony, I was kind of amazed as they were able to celebrate the wedding without any alcohol and meat.  Why is that so?  Because Sikhs are forbidden from drinking alcohol or consuming intoxicants.  Also, the family of the groom were vegetarian so no meat at all.  They served plenty of food such as dal, mixed vegetables, matar and shahi paneer, gobi and mixed fruits, among others.  Soft drinks were bottomless too. 

 

To be invited in a traditional wedding is one of a kind.   I’m grateful to have witnessed a blissful alcohol-free wedding celebration.  It was indeed a wedding to be remembered and to be treasured forever.

Sukhraj and Blancaflor Singh - Punjabi Sikh Wedding

Comments

Post a Comment