SPOTLIGHT


When I attended a dinner party, though kind of privilege, I was kind of a little bit of  upset when the host told me that I’m gonna sit with the first family.  What?  What I’m gonna do there?  Who am I anyway to be seated with them?  I mean, I’m not even part of the family.  I was struggling inside because I don’t know how to behave in front of them.  Seriously, to be with the affluent family?  Oh c’mon, I don’t want to be seated there but I don’t have a choice, the host already made the table arrangement per advice.  I tried to be comfortable but I can’t for so long.

People were marrying and dancing, they were enjoying the night as if there is no tomorrow.  They were playing around with the colourful lights, selfie and groupie.  They were not anxious of their time as if there is no work and class the following day.  They never get tired dancing and feasting.

You know, I’m not trying to be killjoy here.  I’m not a party goer to be candid but I enjoy celebration.  Sometimes, I just go to the party for the sake, sometimes, wholeheartedly.  It depends upon the mood.  Sometimes, I have to attend because I have work to fulfil.  For this night, I don’t want to be rude so I will do what I don’t like to do.

I don’t want to be the subject or talk of the town.  I don’t want to be on the spotlight because there is a corresponding advantage and disadvantage.  Thoughts playing out of my mind but I just ignored it.  I don’t really enjoy the party as others do.  I don’t want the circumstance.  If I were at the other table, maybe, I will not feel this way but I have to do it for compliance.

I can’t understand myself why my heart is grieving when I saw bible-people enjoying the worldly music.  I know that there is nothing wrong about it but what grieved me was, I didn’t see the same energy they gave in worshiping God.  I’m not saying that I’m that too spiritual here but what I’m saying is that, they gave their all when it comes to worldly songs and music but during the praise and worship, I seldom see it. 

When I was at the corner waiting for the party to finish, a thought came out from nowhere, “What’s next after the spotlight?”  I wonder what it means but when my eyes looked at the dance floor, I saw those faces spotted with great responsibilities.  That night, they were on the spotlight but what will happen next after that?  All eyes will be watching of their acts and it’s up to them to stay on that spotlight or not.  Yes, to be on the spotlight is not an easy task and lot of things to do but I believe, it will develop courage and build character inside.  I do hope and pray that one day, those who were on the spotlight of the night will become a role model.



Comments