YOUTH CAMP - A STEPPING STONE TO DO THE MISSION

Timothians Magazine
September 2005 issue  


YOUTH CAMP - A STEPPING STONE TO DO THE MISSION


Eversince I was a child, I didn't like to go to Boracay.  Every time people talk how beautiful Boracay is, it's nothing for me.  I didn't wonder what they were talking about.  No matter what, I would not go to Boracay without a purpose.

Now, the time had come, the 3rd Diocesan Youth was held in Boracay.  Well, this was my first time to go there with a purpose.  For the sake of youth camp, I decided to go even though I didn't like the place.  I prepared myself for this event and I was very excited of what would happen.

Months before the camp, I dreamt about us - the youth, that we were in an island.  We were near the seashore fellowshipping when suddenly I saw the tsunami wave coming.  I warned them about it and we immediately ran and went back to our cottages.  All of us were gathered inside the cottage and found refuge.  Then Fr. Nonoy called his wife and said, "Joy, the child, the child!".  Sis. Joy hurried to get the baby on the floor.  By God's grace, we were all safe when the tsunami wave flooded the island.  We went outside after what happened and went back to the seashore.  We were all happy fellowshipping again.

I entrusted my dream to God and asked Him if the meaning of my dream was literal or spiritual but He gave  no answer.  I just prayed that if ever it would come, then, prepare us spirit, soul and body.  I couldn't avoid not to worry because it was a sensitive dream and I didn't know the exact interpretation of it.  I told nobody.  I kept it in my heart and continued praying until the day of the youth camp.

The first of youth camp, I was disappointed of my expectations because the place was not good as the people described it.  The real beauty of the island was lost.  The enemy was trying to lose the purpose of the camp because of so many temptations but God drew the hearts of the campers to have focus on our goal and God strengthened us.  During the praise celebration, a breakthrough happened.  We won the battle! - the battle of disappointment and indifferences between one another.  It's like "nabunutan ng tinig sa dibdib" when we opened up everything to God.  I could breath well and had peace in my mind and heart.  Thank you Lord!

Before I slept that first night, my dream flashed back and I felt fear inside of me.  I was troubled.  "Lord, this is it," I said, "we're now in this island, will my dream happen?" I felt my bed was so hot that I could not sleep.  I tried to close my eyes but I couldn't sleep.  I had an insomnia for three nights before the camp started and if I couldn't recover "para na akong lumulutang sa hangin".  I continued praying for our protection until I fell asleep.

The teachings from Bishop Ricardo, Fr. Erel and Fr. Romie Jun were very simple and easy to understand that opened our understanding.  The importance of worshipping God not only in songs but also in our possessions, a relationship and fellowship with one another, the way we see others in the ministry, the sacrament of reconciliation and to be a witness to others.  Some of us were awaken from deep sleep of faith and others were amazed and corrected with the vivid teachings that helped us to see the reality of life in bitter point of view.

Last night of the camp was a concert that gave tremendous breakthrough for all.  Campers were wiled enjoying the beat of the music.  All hands were up in the air, jumping, shouting, dancing and singing in praising God.  Grabe!  It's like no problem at all! "Parang nakawala sa hawla." No matter how tired and sweaty, still, they were very energetic.  There's only "One way" in "Going Up to the High Places" that you "Can't stop Praising His Name - Jesus!"

After the concert, Fr. Charles talked to me.  According to him, he saw something from me but he was not sure what it was.  I wondered what he was talking about and my dream flashed back again.  My body startled feeling the heat and my heart was beating faster.  "Is it a confirmation Lord?" I asked.  He added that he noticed that I was weak for the past days but during the concert, I was strengthened and my strength was restored.  He was not sure what he saw but it was about my calling.  All I needed to do was to pray and not be afraid.  What he told me went straight to my heart that tears fell from my eyes.

Three and a half days in Boracay was a great event for the campers.  There were changes to their gestures, facial expressions and the bonding that nobody can break.  It was not the wave of Boracay that changed them but the tsunami wave of God that changes the landscape of their hearts, gradually and permanently.  I saw a glimpse of the anointing of God during the praise celebration.  It was a semi-outpouring of the Holy Spirit that flowed in the worship and the final outpouring was during the concert.  It had been poured out without our notice because we were enjoying at the presence of God.  We found out later that we were flowing and flowing to the the Heart of Worship.  An anointing that kindled our hearts to a mission - TO BE A WITNESS OF GOD AND WITNESS TO OTHERS.

Youth Camp was over but the mission had just begun.  A week after the camp, Sis Joy and I was sent by Sis Nemia to Cebu.  It was my first church mission in life - to teach the workers of Banner Ministry under the Creative Arts Department on how to handle and wave the banner.  We were there for one week for technical training.  We went back to Kalibo rejoicing because of a successful mission.

What we've learned in Youth Camp is a stepping stone to do the mission of God that has given us.  At first, LEARNING is needed but as we journey through, DOING is the fulfillment of a MISSION.   

Comments