The Essence


Antoine De Saint in his book entitled, “The Little Prince” wrote that, “All men have stars, but they are not the same thing for different people.  For some who are travelers, the stars are guides.  For other, they are no more than little lights in the sky.  For others who are scholars, they are problems.  For many businessman, they are wealth.”  


Just a thought.  What about stars on the water, what does it mean?  What?!  Does it really exist there?  I think so – on the other perspective, maybe.  


I was enjoying swimming during our family day last May 2010 when these tiny colorful stars caught my attention.  I know in my heart that a star can only be found on the sky, so how come it exists on the water?  Out of curiosity, I stood still and observed the movements of the water.  I knew in my heart that no stars underwater but only stones and perhaps, it were just reflections of the sunlight.  These colorful tiny stars enticed me that I picked up one of those and guess what, it was just a simple stone as expected.  Kind of strange the first time, so I throw it away.   How come it looks like a star on the water?  And how come it turns out to be a stone out of the water?  I mean, a star underwater and a stone out of the water, how could this be?  As I submerge and gaze upon the beauty of the stars underwater - the twinkling colors, the sparkling shapes and brightness, I was awed and overwhelmed how creative God is, very excellent!  


According to Dr. Miguel Fortes and I quote, “Normally, it is the light that penetrates from the sun, or artificial sources like light bulbs at the surface……” “It’s simple reflections and rarefaction of light from the surface that reaches the stones.  They are bent and irregularly formed (like stars) once they reach your eyes due to the uniform movement of the water.”


The scientific explanation of Dr. Fortes enlightened my understanding but still, my heart is asking.  I can’t grasp the infinite hint of the matter but as I continually searching for the right answer, God impressed something in my heart.  First, “stones look like stars on the water” were the people I encountered with and/or attracted with by their marine and aquatic field of profession.  Second, “stars became stones in my hands”, they will not be as productive in their profession if they will stay extensively in the land as their lifestyle revolves more on the ocean and the sea.  And lastly, “gaze upon the beauty” I realized that they became a star to me in their own special way when I was with them.


Others might think nonsense on the matter but it makes me laugh pondering.  In one way or the other, they added color in my life and their essence cannot be measured by distance.  I’m grateful to God that He revealed the answer I’m looking for, and the wanderings of my mind stop then.

Comments