THE SCORCHING HEAT

I can't help myself remembering Archie (as I code him) everytime I saw this young male schooler of Kumon Kalibo Center for Mathematics Program. They are most likely I would say, the same profile and honestly speaking, I miss him.

It makes me laugh reminiscing the moments we had in college. I can't forget it eventhough it was only for a short time. I don't know how to explain what happened to us that day. What I know is that, I felt like scalded for about 3 to 5 days.

I was neo-fight then in Garcia when I met Archie through my new external friends. Archie and his circle of friends during intramural were eye-catching to me because of their being quite noisy or I would say, their group were kind of jolly. There were times that they were serious watching basketball but oftentimes, jovial. In fairness, not to mention, most of them were handsome and had that sex appeal.

It was second day of intrams when I met Archie. I was alone in our permanent seat when they came. They asked me where was my other new external friend and how we met. I told them plainly that boost their ego. They never expected my answer. I mean, they laughed in that single word "nothing" or in Akeanon dialect "owa". I wondered why they laughed but I guess, maybe because I uttered it differently.

When I was with them during the intramural days, they were kind to me especially Archie. I noticed something fishy but I neglected it. I knew that after the event, we will not be the same again. There were times that his friends leave us alone but still both of us were kind of uncomfortable. We were in the stage of knowing each other then and we agreed in one thing - reading komiks. I borrowed his favorite Archie Komiks and reading it was my past time because we were at the ABL only for attendance. From time to time, I watched basketball game and asked him what's going on. He kindly told me the flow of the game eventhough I can't relate too much of it.

We had good weather for the week of intramural. As usual, we were in our permanent area at ABL but this time, we were seated on the red sofa placed along the beaches on the top. I was seated on the tail end of the sofa while Archie seated beside me with his friends. I was comfortable reading the Archie Komiks while watching the game when I observed him following my gestures in the same manner and even doing it on the opposite way. I thought, it was a coincidence but when I tried to lean on the wall, he did so. I can't understand why he adhered to me seems there was space beside him. I kept quiet pretending that I'm not aware. I leaned on the wall to avoid the possibility of falling down. I did changed my gestures for me to be comfortable again.

I can't comprehend why I felt something unusual when both our shoulders and hands attached when we were both reclining on the wall. I felt like, he really closed with me that our shoulders and hands will be attached that much. I don't know if he intended it to test me but I was surprised because that moment was really amazing. I felt the scorching heat on my hands. I can't determine if he was sick that time, in high fever or what but one thing I know, I was inflamed. He was so hot that I suffered from skin burn. When I looked at him, he was sweating. I asked him if he's okay, when he answered yes, his hot temperature subsided. Sigh.

I can't estimate how long our shoulders, hands and portion of our flank attached but my left hand was really affected. It took me 3 - 5 days to be healed of. Honestly speaking, I wasn't scalded physically but still, I felt the flame. I have to rubbed my hand to lessen the skin burn. Even lotion cannot prevent it, I swear. We never talk about what happened and why he was kind of combusted when he cling to me. 

After the intramural, he visited me in our steno room but we don't talked too much as my classmates were watching us. It was right after he left the room when my classmates informed me that he was one of the candidates for Mr. Garcian.  They asked me where and how I met Archie since they knew me as a loner. I never knew his identity as he did not introduce himself like that. I don't know if he won special awards during the contest. I don't care at all.

Archie choose to evade me I guess after semestral break when we met along the way to second floor unexpectedly. According to him, his vacation was fine but when I asked him about his grandmother, he was stunned. He motioned and uttered words of astonishment because how come I knew what happened to his grandma. Then he began to question my character, and what kind of eyes I have that I knew what happened to him and his family. He told me then that his grandma died and will talk about it later as he has a class but that later did not happen.

You know what, I tried my best to talk to him, to explain what was the reason why I asked about his grandma but he never give me a chance to do so. How could I tell him that it was only a dream and that, I only want confirmation? How could I say to him that among the men I met, it was only to him I experienced that scorching heat? hehehehee... But what happened were like water under the bridge.

This young male schooler reminds me of him, his good looking, his lips, thick but smooth eyebrows, curve eyelids and above all, his eyes like a dove. I don't have communication to Archie right now but the last news I heard from his friends was, he went home after he worked abroad and they even did not know where particularly he is right now. I do pray that one day, we will meet again.

Comments